Blog Archive

Saturday, August 31, 2013

FUN with T.S.A.

What a day I had today. I decided to take a spontaneous getaway and fly to New York to see one of my magic buds. We always have such a great time jamming with some magic. My friend Jason has a 20 foot by 15 foot stage in his mansion. Well it's really not a mansion but more like a run down warehouse on the outside and a mansion on the inside.

The last time I saw him he was working on some part for some magician. He doesn't really talk about it, but told me that he didn't even know what the part did that he was building. I think I might of gotten some of my inventing inspiration from him.

I remember one day in my younger days we were practicing some magic and he stopped and said " I forgot to tell you. I have some tickets to go see a famous magician. I have 4 tickets, we can take out girlfriends with." I was so excited! I never saw this great magician live before. I promised Jason that I wouldn't tell who this magician was. I still don't know why he requested this. So we all got there about a half hour early and just sat. My friend Jason seemed a little anxious for the show to start. When the show finally started Jason said "It should be coming up now! Then I saw a big flash and at the same time Jason said "I'm not feeling to good lets go home.' I knew Jason like the back of my hand and something didn't seem right. I Didn't even really get to see what the flash was all about because suddenly we were being rushed out. It was almost as if that was the only reason Jason went to see the show. I still can't figure that out.

So let me speed it up 20 years. Jason's still messing with the magic and creating new ideas. Sometimes we'll pull all nighters and just try to invent some new magic. Jason helped me out on some of the packaging with my butterfly in a box. I was stuck on if I should get a label for the box or go with the silk screen finish on the gloss black box. Jason recommended going with the black box with the gold butterfly emblem.  It turns out that was a good choice.

I think one of the reasons I decided to take this spontaneous trip to see my old magic bud was because of stress. I am currently working on four magic effects all at one time. Sometimes together, other times apart. When I'm waiting for parts on one I'll start working on another. Some of the products that I will be coming out with is Scorched, Eggactley, Fine Dine and Turbo Tube.

My effect Turbo Tube is actually ready to sell to the magic community, but I wanted my friend Jason to be one of the first to check it out. When I told my wife that I was going to New York she begged me to go with. You see she's from New York so it's kind of sentimental to her.

On the way to the airport all we heard on the radio was the talk about Syria. I also heard that they are beefing up airport security. I was thinking "Please don't let us be delayed, please don't let us be delayed." when we finally got there it was a mad house. We managed to get some coffee and wait in the long security check in.

I saw so money people, mostly older men, woman and pregnant woman getting pulled to the side for a more in depth look. This non-discriminating profiling really gets to me.

Finally after waiting in line for over a hour and twenty minutes I was finally putting my carry on bag on the xray belt. That's when everything went down hill and HELL broke loose. The  belt stopped and within seconds there was about six FBI agents and T.S.A. people looking into my bag. I was pulled to the side and they immediately stated to scan my body. I couldn't figure out what this was all about and why they were so abrupt with me.  Then it clicked! it must be my Turbo Tube that I brought with me. I didn't even think about that. All the gadgets the darn thing has and it being long and plastic probably looked like a pipe bomb or something.

They started asking me questions and things and I was shaking like heck. I finally just said "Look I'm a magician and I invent magic tricks. I invented this trick called Turbo Tube and I'm just flying to New York to show my friend. If you don't believe me I'll show it to you. the next thing you know FBI agents and T.S.A. are lined up in front of me waiting to see what the heck this tube does.


So I went into magician mode and stated showing them the trick. I showed the tube empty and then showed three handkerchiefs, a red white and blue. (How appropriate for the times right now) After showing the handkerchiefs I put them into the tube, waved my hand and out jumped an American Flag along with a burst on confetti. All the FBI, T.N.A. and people waiting in line all clapped and cheered. I felt like I was in a frigging movie. I'm thinking "How did they even allow me to do this? Doesn't  it go against security rules? maybe they get bored and need to be entertained once in awhile. after everyone was clapping and cheering I was kindly given my bag back.



My wife and I were now late for our flight, as a matter of fact we missed it so now we were waiting for the next one. We decided to get some breakfast so we went to the airport restaurant. we met a lovely lady by the name of Caryn
When she came over to take our order she said "Hey! your that magician that was holding up the line.  I like that tube thing you did. By the way I have some photos of the whole thing if your interested. I've been working here for 41 years and I never saw anything like that, well I did see a case of guns and some life size dolls come in, but that tube thing was okay. I'm a photographer on the side, just a hobby. I have a whole collection of things that go on here that I take photos of. I even have photos of your turbo tube in the xray machine as well as you performing it to security. We should sell your story and get rich." Caryn was a very talkative, full of energy type girl. All this time talking to us she was chomping on some gum and tapping her shoes. Caryn even burned the photos on a cd form the computer and got the owner to comp our meal.


Whew! what a day! We finally made it to Jason's warehouse apartment. He couldn't believe my story. He reminded me that somehow I always had these crazy things happen to me. I guess I could say the same for him. Jason loved the Turbo Tube and I asked him what kind of box should I put it in, the cardboard or something else. Jason stared at the Turbo Tube and said "Nothing! Just a plain box. that's all it needs."

So now here I am in New York. I just had a crap load of people at the airport be late because of my turbo tube. The nice thing was that even though they were being held up by me they still cheered and clapped. I think maybe having the American Flag shoot out with confetti may have had something to do with it.

LIFE is GOOD!
Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a great story... exactly as in movies! Ankeet