Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"Butterfly in a box" Am I making a mistake?


Mark Presley: creator of "Butterfly in a box"

Although the final workings and invention process of the "Butterfly in the box" have been recent. The thought process has been years of thought. I’m trying to figure out how to make this look like real magic.

At this point I'm so proud that I found something that is going to be a great tribute to magic. I’m almost afraid to even put it on the market. I feel selfish. I feel I want to just close down all the post and pictures and keep it for myself. I feel like just keeping the whole thing secret and putting it in the box, closing the lid and not telling anyone. At the same time it is a beautiful effect. 












FIRST TEST: 
I would like to say that my first official test was at a class I'm taking called "Artistic Inventions" it was at that class that the butterfly was invented. I was playing around with it and all of the sudden students were in awe. In than took it home to show my wife Tracey. She loved it. It was at that point in time that I knew I had something. 


THE OFFICIAL TEST:  The official performance test was at Barnaby's pizza where I have been performing close up magic for over 17 years. I got a great response to the effect. I'm especially really particular who I show it to as not to cause any leaks before I release it. So I may only perform it once and only when their are not many people around being careful of all my surroundings. 

Today I was doing a show for a major college. Usually when I have a big show I try to arrive 4hrs early so I can prep myself and get emotionally ready. After I set all my equipment up I had some down time.

Test 1

I brought the "Butterfly in a box" with me to do some beta testing. I decided to take a walk around the college and try it out on some people. The first place I did it was in a hallway just outside the cafeteria. A man was in the hallway with his back to me. I said "Hey" he turned around and I had my hands in a cupped position. He looked at me strange. Then I released my cupped hands and the Butterfly flew out. It went around and over my hands. He looked shocked, followed by smile and laughter. NOTE: he was only about 3 feet away.





TEST 2

Freight Elevator:

I was walking in the back loading area getting back to where I was going to perform. I saw a food service worker with a cart waiting for the elevator. I said look at this. Again, my hands in a cupped position I released the butterfly. I pretty much had the same reaction accept a lot more animated. I just love the reactions on African American people. Their laugh is so genuine and wholesome. After it hovered around over and under my hand I grabbed it again in a cupped position. I put it into my pocket. He looked SHOCKED! as well concerned. I said “Don’t worry, I have it trained to fly above my hands” he had a nervous smile. At this point I felt bad and didn’t want him to think the poor butterfly was hurt so I said. “No worries. I have box with holes in it that is in my pocket.” He seemed to be okay with that answer. I said “goodbye” and wen on my way. As I’m doing these little tests I’m thinking “this is even going better than I thought. Maybe I shouldn’t sell this. It’s to Good. Maybe I should try to sell it to Copperfield or something.





Test 3



The conference room:

Another test I was doing was outside a conference room. This time for two different food service people. I didn’t want to perform for paying patrons as not to disturb business. Not to forget that this is in beta mode and if someone sees how it’s done at least it’s not as bad.

So back to the food service employees. I used the same simple patter “LOOK” cupped hands, open them out! Butterfly flies out. This time I got a “WTF” and that’s not a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. LOL I let it hover around, grabbed it and put it away.



So far my beta testing has been going extremely well. It feels so good to finally have something I made, I created that has my name on it. I have been through so many challenges in my life and it took a butterfly to take my magic, art, creativity and inventions to new heights. 



In closing thank you some much friends for visiting and following and putting up with my poor grammar and punctuation. Hey! I have ADD and I’m proud of it. By the way did you know that ADD stands for “Artistic Diligent Determined.” Have a magical day.

Best

Mark Presley

AKA

IMAGINATOR

www.facesofmagic.com






No comments: