Blog Archive

Sunday, November 25, 2012

MAGIC CLUBS ARE KIND OF LIKE CHURCH

Magic clubs are kind of like church. If you feel like you don't fit in you have look for another. I think it's great when they have lectures and all, but to me what we all really need is Help! help on our art, our moves our slights, our speaking and presentation. I think if I were to have a club I would focus on these things. I know depending on how large a magic club is that it would be very difficult to help and teach on a one on one basis. In actuality it could happen if you put together a small team they are grouped off into smaller groups so that they can focus more on individuals.



I would also have some time programed sometime within the club format to have 3 or 4 magicians every week be able to perform their routine in front of club members so that they can help and critique your work. Each club memeber/magician would also have a "Help Sheet" where they take notes of anything they observe during the magicians performance. Notes that that show strengths, weaknesses, slight execution, correct slight angles, speaking, presentation....


I think that this kind of format would be very easy to do if you have the right dedication and team.
Every month you would than get a new set of magicians that you will observe and critique on stage.
Now my other thought is lectures. Ah yes! lectures. I think a lot of magic clubs focus to much on lectures.

First the bad: Which really isn't bad. I couldn't come up with another word.



Lectures are kind of limited to taste and preference. Think about it! For example you are having a party and you are serving a elite, decorative deli platter. Great! but their is a few people in the room that don't like meat because they are vegetarians. Oh well! you can't accommodate everyone can you?


THE GOOD: 
Magic lectures can also be a great way to inspire and teach you some routines and some cool magic that you are interested in. Having a lecturer can improve club attendance and it's really great when the person doing the lecturer is someone that you feel connected to. maybe you have bought some effects, books or have videos of the magician.
Their may also be magicians that have no clue who the magician/lecturer is and suddenly find themselves pulled and sucked in.


So they both have pros and cons. Wouldn't it be great if you can just have all the bells and whistles in every magic club?   


The other thing that can also be a bit challenging is all the different personalities.
That's what makes it great How boring it would be if everyone was the same.
You have hobbyists, semi pro, pro. And then the cocky magician. You know the one that knows it all.
You can tell just by their smirk that they are eying you up and down saying silently to themselves.
"I don't like you! I don't like the work you do in magic. Your not as good as I am! I'm better and I don't want to even try to have a discussion with you." now that may seem a little harsh, but true. Isn't it. I was once told that I write everything people are really thinking and would like to say so think of me as taking the hits and laying it down.

You also have members that are very supportive. You exchange ideas and talk about your recent visits to lectures outside of your club. You share you dreams and inspirations in hopes that you will feel connected with someone. They are always willing to help and offer a helping hand or ear to what you have to say. It is honest. It's not fake or have other hidden agendas.


CONCRETE MAGIC! 
Is your magic club under construction? Does it need a support system?

Years ago when I was in high school I attended a magic club "Society of American Magicians" it was held at the "Magic Touch" lounge in Arlington Heights, il. That was such a great time. Ralf Beck attended their. I actually met him years ago when I was a child. He was doing close-up magic at "Doc Weeds" in DesPlaines, Il I remember a real cool trick he did and he handed me his business card. I held onto it for years and latter on decided to give him a call. He became my magic mentor and that's how I found out about the "Society of American Magicians" 




I started attending the magic meetings at the "Magic Touch Lounge" every month. One thing that stuck out to this very day is how they opened up the club and welcomed everyone. It just seemed so sincere and welcoming. The president would have a list of agenda that was planned for the night. He would welcome new members and have them stand up. magicians would clap and welcome him/her. The president would then go further into reading things off the sheet of upcoming magic events that some of the magicians from the club will
be performing at. Clubs, theaters, lectures, benefits....


He would then go into accomplishments that magicians in the club have made. This could be anything from a magician that designed their own t-shirt, won a reward, was in the newspaper, on TV or may even have invented a effect. After the president went through the agenda list he than asked if their was anything/anyone that he forgot and gave them the opportunity to be able to speak or announce what they needed. 


I think this format was so great. It really opened the doors to magicians and made them feel comfortable and welcome. That what it should all be about right?

As far as my title for this blog "MAGIC CLUBS ARE KIND OF LIKE CHURCH"



has to do with clubs and church? Well even church can be a challenge. If you want to grow and better yourself you will most likely succeed if you have a strong support system. A system that is sincere, strong and not fake. Not fake in the sense that at church everyone is all nice and giddy, but the moment you get out of church and in the car. Your morals and beliefs go right out the window as your road raging through the parking lot.

 So next  time you go to your club or you are thinking of joining a club think about this.
What is your belief? What kind of structure are you looking for? We all have different needs and personalities, but in the end what really matters is that your steeple is pointing up. Pointing up toward your goals and dreams.
Mark Presley

No comments: