Blog Archive

Monday, January 7, 2013

UNLEASHED- TITLE: MAGICIANS! BEING A FOLLOWER CAN CRIPPLE YOU! THE CONSEQUENCES OF NOT BEING WHO YOU ARE.

This is a post I found on a social network website. I think the person posting this has some great points and makes you think. I would also like to express my view. With every persons views also comes other peoples thoughts and opinions. This is no way a slam or talking down on the person who posted this. it is simply my opinions and thoughts. below is the post I copied. You will see my comment and thoughts after the quote ""


This is a reminder to some, and a wake up call to others. Just like cars age so do our props. A '78 Pinto is a '78 Pinto. Back in 1978 I'm sure that Pinto looked just fine sitting there all shiny and new.


 It had the lines of a '70's automobile, the cloth seats, and a state of the art 8 track player on the dash. That same Pinto today (if you can find one) still looks like it belongs in the '70's. Even if you paint it, put in a different stereo system, maybe even buy new tires for it. Guess what, it's still a 1978 Pinto!


Here's my point, the same thing applies to our magic props, our sets, costuming, and music. Think about this, fashion is evolving constantly, hair styles, music, dance... It's all changing constantly. We (YOU), everyone that gets in front of an audience and proclaims to be a magician owes it to the art, the audience, and yourself to represent in a current way. That is only a part (but a big one) that will assist in keeping and getting new magic fans. Let's face it, people do love magic. I hear it everyday. What the public has a tough time with is the appearance and presentation of what is put in front of them. I challenge each and everyone one of you to take a good long look at your prop case and prop closet. Either remove or have a "professional" designer help you with a makeover on the props, the old tux, the music you have been using since 1989... 






 Challenge yourself and your magic brothers and sisters to do the same. I can't believe some of the dated props and material that still being put in front of audiences today. It's 2013 for crying out loud... It's time to call the salvage company and have them remove your 1978 Pinto from your driveway. Not only will magic fans new and old thank you, the "art of magic" will thank you, and trust me when I say you'll thank yourself... Please don't think about it, do it! If you have trouble recognizing what is holding you back I invite you to contact me for assistance. They're are quite easy guidelines to follow when it comes to art and design. What is pleasing to the eye and what isn't. There are many talented folks in our world that are available to assist in the develop of an act, or routine. Please reach out to them... It will be worth it in every regard. Good luck facing reality!





Here are my thoughts and opinion on this post:

@John Doe, Thanks for your post
understand what you’re saying, but I disagree. I think pushing our thoughts and what we believe in onto other magicians cripples the art. 


So we should wear the newest, hippest clothes and hair style just to fit in? Just to be accepted? To me going the extra mile to stand out is what matters. We have to step away from this thinking. It’s all about presentation. Take Doug Henning for example. 



 I could almost guarantee that if he was alive today and was doing the same show he was doing in the 1970’s would probably still be successful. The audience may judge how a magician acts, looks and props, but if he/she has great showmanship, personality and those 1970’s props are well painted and maintained the audience will accept it. Look at Susuan Boyle from “Americas Got Talent” 



As soon as she stepped out the audience started laughing and making fun of her. They quickly changed their tune and opinion of her when she suddenly started belting out her beautiful voice. The way she looked, dressed and acted was now a second thought. It reminded us how we are all different. Our handicaps are made up of how people judge us. Our friends, our life style, our income. What kind of car we are driving. De we drive that 1978 Pinto or are we driving a Mercedes? To tell you the truth I would rather be driving the 1978 Pinto. It would probably turn more heads than any other new car out there. The 1978 Pinto was made at the highlight of America. Only a few years away from the bicentennial year. 

Magic has been around for quite some time. We have been using the same props for hundreds of years. Maybe what we need to do is step back from modern and technology and take the audience on a magical journey of what magic used to be. 



Back in the heyday when you had Carter, Thurston, Dante, Fakini….. The list goes on. Take Jeff McBride for example. He is still wearing spandex, yet he is still traveling around the world. To me, I am that 1978 Pinto. Showing the world history. My body is sharp. My interior is pristine. I have a eight track and it blares out “Earth Wind and Fire” I am happy.

 I am old and people like me for what I am. Just my two cents. Thanks for the post.
-Imaginator- 





No comments: