Blog Archive

Monday, September 2, 2013

Magic Lecturers Beware! your magic inventions could be getting ripped off.

There's no doubt that in the past two years that I have had this blog that it has helped me grow in many ways. In other ways I sometimes cringe at myself thinking "What the hell was I thinking" most of the time though it's just my honest experience of things I've been through in the world of magic. Many of us hide behind our cards, coins and maybe even some butterflies.

I try not to hide, but at the same time fear that speaking out can in some way hurt me or my image, but hey what the hell! I can't be like others and hold it in. I need to artistically express myself everyday or I'm just not happy. My last post I was ranting about a stupid Voodoo Doll contest
I was thinking "what am I doing? does anyone even care or read this crap? after getting about 100 hits in just a few hours my question was answered. Well kind of, maybe this blog attracts people because of the WTF shock. Is it a shock? I don't know.

A few weeks ago I was asking that same question "What am I doing?" then out of nowhere I had a magician private message me and tell me that he's been following my work and also liked my blog. That really made my day. To the nice man that said those kinds words if your here visiting this blog I would just like to say "Thanks."

To tell you the truth this blog was really supposed to be about the Imaginator and not so much about my life, challenges as well as personal stuff, but I'm finding myself a little stuck on who the Imaginator is. Maybe perhaps I do know who he is and I just don't know it. After all imagination is everything isn't it? I think for me though, in order to tap into my character, I have to first tap into myself and express who I am. Many of us still don't know who we are. We think we know, but are caught up in our own illusion.

Many of you may wonder what's the deal with me and magic clubs? It's not that I really hate magic clubs per say. I just don't like some of the things as well a politics that happen in them. Magic clubs should be a place where support is equal and is not a popularity contest. I also think that magic clubs shouldn't always put such concentration on constantly learning new magic tricks. I think the concentration should be on being good magicians. It should be a place where we are all coaches and team players. Wouldn't it be nice if every month at your magic club you have two magicians a month do a 30 minute show and then all the members get to critique and help you? That's what we need. We don't need the next hottest trick. Well! scratch that remark. Let me back up a little. There can be time to learn the next hottest trick that can be introduced or taught before or after the two magicians perform. We should be taught how to be good. I'm good, but good isn't enough for me.

Magic clubs are kind of like a job, school or even a church. Whatever the place may be you have to feel that it's a good fit and match for you. If your a atheist then what the heck are you doing in a Catholic church? If it doesn't fit, then find the place that does.


You probably noticed that I don't get to the title of my blog till sometimes the end. That's my A.D.D. sorry about that as well as the sometimes poor grammar, but then again I could be like some people and bitch and complain how bad something is and they themselves aren't even doing anything. it's so easy to be judgmental, but actually doing something even if you're failing takes guts and courage.  So I guess I could at least get a A+ for effort.

So back to the main title of this blog
"Magic Lecturers Beware! you're inventions could be getting ripped off." 


Not too long ago I attended a club to see a famous traveling magician who performs and does lectures.
I though his magic and personality was great. I always wanted to get into doing lectures and finally got the opportunity to do one several months ago. Gosh! it was terrible. I really need to work on that more. It was my first one ever and I had a little of the insecure felling. Anyway! This magician that I saw performing made it look easy. I guess that's when you got it. It's when they make it look easy, but when you try it's a FAIL! This magician did some real cool magic and at the conclusion of his show he announced that he had a trick he wanted to show. He said that he needs to work on it before it hits the market, but he would like to show it to us. I don't want just PLUNGE!
into what he did out of respect of the privacy of the club. Even though I have my opinion and certain fellings I can still be  professional.

While this magician was performing this effect that he didn't even have on the market yet, club members were on their ipods google searching where to get a certain prop he had. You couldn't be more blunt. Nothing like trying to rip someone off right in your own living room. I couldn't believe it, I really couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I actually for the first time understood what magic inventors have to go through yet we keep doing what we love. INVENTING!


So I would like to share this thought with any magicians who do lectures and have a new magic product going out. For some reason magicians think that when someone is lecturing and showing you something that it's a FREE FOR ALL! which simply isn't true, but this is the mentality they have. So unless it's documented, produced and already being sold to the magic community "DON"T SHOW IT!" you could be opening the doors to possible getting your effect knocked off.

BUT I'M the bad guy. I'm the one that was inspired by another magician giving a lecture at the same club. He told everyone that if you want to succeeds in magic you have to set yourself apart from the others, make lots of magic videos or invent a magic effect to get your name out.

The light bulb went off in my head and I kid you not Two weeks later I invented "Butterfly in a Box' the disheartening thing was that nothing was even announced to the club about my effect. No recognition, no nothing. A announcement was made however of another magicians who had a non magic effect being sold at the Magic Castle. So it's no wonder with all these experiences with clubs and contests such as the name My FRIGIN STUPID VOODOO DOLL contest or hey! lets look on Amazon and look for the prop this magician is using and try to sell it, that I'm sometimes a little bitter and disheartened with professionalism, ethics, support, equality, brotherhood and so on.


But I guess people don't like to hear this kind of stuff. They probably view me as some weak person that cries over everything. That simply isn't the case. That's more of a case of certain people who can't even fathom or even put effort, thought or energy into what I do because they can't comprehend what it takes to have a heart, be compassionate and fair to our own magic community. It's the selfish actions that is the pure evil of what we think it takes to get to the top. Is that what it takes? well I guess I'll  just hang out here then. Hang out here at my little desk hunched over in a chair typing away, hoping that I'm doing something worthwhile. Maybe I'll strike a cord with someone, inspire someone to inspire others. Maybe I'll try to give support to that old high school acquaintance who is writing a book and then de Friends me because I tried to give them support. People who are selfish don't like support. For them the attention and support isn't a gift offering it is more of a expected demand from them.

So next time you invented a trick or you're trying to give support to someone or you're at your magic club. Look around and ask yourself "Is this where I belong! are these my friends?" sometimes they may seem like they are, but their actions speak louder then words.

REMEMBER! I'm the Imaginator and I don't have all the answers, but I do have common sense. Tap into your surroundings, focus on who you are and things will start to become clear. It's almost as if you're standing behind a window and on the other side of the wind is pure chaos. Once in awhile they may look over for a few seconds and think "FREAK!" and then they continue their chaos. They are the ones that are BLIND.They are the ones that will do whatever it takes to get on top, even if it's stealing, not only a magician and his invention, but his HEART and TRUST!

I think maybe I do know who the Imaginator is after all. He's someone that is striving to be a HERO, a role model, a superhero who isn't perfect, yet he doesn't give up. A superhero that also makes mistakes and judges others, but does it in a way that will somehow open the eyes of the ones behind the glass.

Is Your glass CLEAR or is it painted in black and you're on the other side playing a game. a game called CHAOS!

-Imaginator-

No comments: