Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Do the MAGIC that makes you HAPPY!

I've been pondering the thought lately as to what kind of magic makes me happy. After years and years of trying to find my strengths. I finally started to discover them in the mid 2000's. Fir those of you that don't know my strengths in magic. It is thimble magic. That is my passion. I've talked about this many of times in my blog. In the past few years I have entered many magic contests where I'm performing my one of many thimble routines. Some contest I placed while others, well that a whole new blog post.


Chicago Magic Competition 2014
Through my whole life in magic I tried many times to do ball, card and coin manipulations, but my heart just didn't feel anything for them. When I found thimbles my whole attitude changed. Suddenly I was practicing for hours and hours in front of the mirror, computer cam or camcorder.  

Through the many hours of just messing around I was able to tap into some new ideas and techniques using thimbles, props and gimmicks. Too me it's not all about the thimbles, but using props to go along with them and complement each other.


I even have various thimbles I use for various effects. My most common and favorite brand thimble is of course Vernet. After that it would be Fakini and Joe Mogar. Those are my top three brands I use.

                 Abbott's Magic Competition 2014
I have roughly about a 300 thimble collection. My favorite routine that is relatively new is my "Thimble Ladder." It is a variation of the coin ladder, but with thimbles. The other new favorite is the "Thimble Glass Penetration" and last "Thimble Delight"


I have many more new and original ideas coming soon. I also have a long term goal which is to come put with a dvd tutorial that will explain all my techniques that I have done, but I don't plan on releasing it any time soon. Until I get more stage time. Mostly competition time where I can really push the art of thimbles. Thimble manipulation is indeed a lost art. I have said this many times, but I hope to bring interest back into such a beautiful piece of magic that you don't really see anymore.

This brings me to the conclusion of this blog topic "Do the MAGIC that makes you HAPPY!

Ultimately you have to do what your good at. If you try to go against the grain all you will get is resistance and friction. Your magic should be in the HEART. It should be comfortable and smooth. 

Most of all it should be fun to perform and practice. Ask yourself? What magic do you like to do? Do you know? Maybe you like doing something simple like the "Ball and Vase" effect. If so find a way to make it better and different then anyone else. We are all hear to share our gift and inspire the world. It might as well be something you love.
When you do what you love your gift will shine through and inspire people to follow their HEART in not only MAGIC, but LIFE! 

Imaginator

No comments: