Blog Archive

Friday, September 18, 2015

The Magic Of Mark Presley- Old School Magic with a New School Look

Every now and then I like to break out some of my old school magic and do some brainstorming magic practice sessions. Some of my favorite magic is what is called parlor magic. For those in the magic business you know what I'm talking about, but for the non magician, I'll explain. Parlor magic is in-between close - up magic and stage. Close up magic is usually performed with smaller items such as;  cards, coins, rope, rings....and more, where as stage magic is larger objects, boxes that can be seen from a fairly long distance in the audience. Stage can also fit into the category of illusions; depending on how big you want to go.



Some of these genres of magic may be intertwined and mixed and matched. For example, you might find some close up magic in the parlor genre and some parlor may have close up mixed in, but rarely will you find stage and illusions mixed in to the smaller type magic. The is usually due to the size of the performance area. Parlor magic is usually performed in a small room setting such as a small living room, dining room or,  back in the Victorian day, where the host would have a party and they would usually hire entertainment where they would perform in a small parlor room. Thus the name, Parlor Magic.

Back in the 1800's before they had telephones, cell phones and computers. Hosts at a party would invite people over to talk, converse and actually have a conversation. These days your lucky enough if people even look up and say hi! that's because they have their face in their cell phone. It's just too bad that our society has changed so much that we can't even give acknowledgement or eye contact for a split second.


I think my love for parlor magic was first discovered at Magic Inc, in  Chicago.  Where they had hundreds of magic tricks lined up on shelves and glass displays. The magic on the shelves really grabbed your attention. The magic tricks were various shapes, sizes and eye popping colors.

My very first magic trick that was sort of in-between parlor and stage was called a Funder box. It was truly magical. You could make things vanish and appear. I never forget when I first saw it. A magic dealer at Magic Inc, gave me a performing demonstration of the trick. After seeing it, I had to have it. I put it on my Christmas list and received it when Christmas came. I still have that Funder Box to this day.

You don't see much parlor magic performed today. I actually have two giant class displays of unused parlor magic. Just sitting there waiting to be performed. I think I'm going to work on introducing this type of magic into my shows. It really is some beautifully made magic. 

For a number of years now, I have been tinkering with some ideas of routines that would incorporate parlor type magic effects. You will see them performed in the video. One of the parlor effects in the video involves the "Rings" the rings have always reminded me of cut out vinyl records. Years ago I used to be a Disc Jockey and so I have been thinking of a routine to perform, incorporating the rings and being a Disc Jockey into the routine using my Technic 1200's turntables.


One of the other effects involves an effect I call "Time & Space" and last one of my favorite close up effects using the four aces and ending with a 4 coin effect. Fir the magicians out there! There is a reason I'm not giving the names of the effects and that's to protect the secrets. I get many lay people visiting this site and so I want to be very careful.


 I really enjoy my practice studio sessions. It really give me the opportunity to be creative and try out new material before putting it into my show. Please check out my video and leave a comment. I'm also looking to build my subscriber base. So please subscribe and I'll be happy to return the favor by subscribing to yours. Click here to Subscribe.

Imaginator

No comments: