Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What do magic contests benifit? Here is 20 reasons why you should compete.

It's been a few weeks now since Abbott's Get Together. This was my second tear in a row attending. I really had a great time seeing all my friend that I met last year as well as finally meeting Steve Hart who has been a life coach for me in the last 2 years. We met a couple of years ago on facebook and he was one of the first people to see my "Butterfly in a BOX" effect. www.butterflyinabox.com I had skyped Steve and showed him the effect. I really didn't know a thing about producing a magic effect and Steve guided me the way. I caught on pretty fast and in under 13 months I created 6 magic effects. I finally had the privilege of meeting Steve for the first time in the two years that we have been facebook chatting or skyping. It's amazing how two people that never met can help each other out so much.

The main reason I attended the Abbott's Get Together was fro the magic competition. I was in it last year. I didn't place so I entered again this year, 2014. I practiced my ass of and I felt pretty confident about my act. Then One day at Karate I had an accident and sprained my thumb 1 week before the competition. About 90% of my act is thimble manipulation and so having a sprained thumb was not good.

Right after the sprained thumb accident It was difficult for me to practice. Instead of being able to rehearse 6 times a day. I could barley even get in one practice.I decided that I would still enter the contest regardless of my thumb. I invested too much time into putting my act together to just give up.


Jeff McBride was also a great help with my act. He consulted me and gave me some great suggestions for my act such as the pagoda, Press Lee's tailor shop and more...
it's really inspiring talking with Master Jeff McBride. He really knows the business on what and what not to do. 


Jeff book "The Show Doctor" has been somewhat of a bible for me. 
If you're a magician and you don't have the book. May I suggest it for you. It's a good read. 
 
  Jeff McBride Promo 2011 from Tobias Beckwith on Vimeo.





I took all the advice I could get and applied it to my act. Most of the thimble work I did in my show was all original and per Steve Hart "Revolutionary"
I was so excited about going to Abbott's i just wish I didn't have this sprained thumb. it really added to the stress. Wednesday morning I woke up and packed my car and took of to Colon Michigan for the Abbott's Get Together. But first I made a stop at the doctors office to see if the doc could prescribe me something for my thumb. He gave me some prescription meds which didn't do squat for me. I think it really effected my focus and performance.

I also had some other factors that came into play such as my set being placed too far back, a set-up mishap as well as "Breaking down the 4th wall" I really didn't know about the 4th wall till Jeff McBride introduced me to it. If you don't you what "Breaking Down the 4th wall" is. here is a video.


 
So "What does a magic contests benifit?" Well first of all the easiest part is being in the audience and judging. i don't mean judges as in contest judges, but people in the audience. It's so easy to criticize and judge people when it's not you up there performing. We all had some wonderful magicians performing from all over the United States. Getting feedback from other magicians can also be confusing. Don't wear that hat, don't wear a ponytail, your set is too big, your pants look too new. These are some of the things I heard as well as things the competitors told me they heard.


It's all part of the business. You have to take the advice, sort it out and do what you think is best. Just try to respect and honor the people that give you advice. I made the mistake of taking a comment too literally toward someone that tried to help me. I realized latter on that these people are just trying to help. They want to help you be successful so they are giving you honest feedback.

Ultimately what you need to do is take all the feedback, ideas, opinions, judge scoring sheets. Study all the info you got. Most important seek a professional that's in the business that will help you succeed.

Don't let ego get in the way. Sometimes we think our magic or act is so good and when we seek advice we sometimes get mad or feel insulted because we didn't hear what we wanted to hear.

If you let down your guard and let people in you will flourish. Entering a magic contest is kind of like getting free schooling. You not only learn about what it takes to be on stage and perform in front of a bunch of other magicians, but you get to learn your strengths and weaknesses.

Here is a list of 20 reasons to compete in a magic contets.

1. Experience: A magic contest will give you performing experience. 
2. New Material: You will have a chance to test out new material.
3. Punctuality: If you're going to be in a magic contest. You need to show up to the contest on time. 
4. Team work: You will be in the same room most likely as other competitions. Be nice and respectful toward one another. don't be an ass whole. Love your magic friends. 
5. Make-up: Learn the art of make-up. Use make-up to enhance yourself or your character. It aslo helps with lighting. So the lights don't wash out your face. 
6. Confidence: A magic competition can help you be more confident in yourself.
7. Organization: Learn to organize your magic and props so everything is safely packed and easy to find.
8. Exposure: being in a contest will give you exposure: 
9. Meet new people: You will meet some very interesting people by entering a contest. 
10. Respect: Learn to respect your competitors, stage crew and most important the AUDIENCE!
11. Braging Rights: If you win you get to brag.
12. Shows/Lectures: Winning a contest may even open doors to other things such as shows and lectures.
13. Costumes: Experiment with different costumes.
14: Stage Crew: learn behind the scenes and what it takes to make a show come together. Respect the stage and lighting crew. They are there to help make you a success.
15. Sound and lighting. Learn how to work with different sound and lighting challenges. You could be provided anything form state of the art equipment to more generic home type equipment. If you're going to be doing this professionally you need to be exposed to all different elements.
16. Challenge yourself: Challenge yourself. Don't be afraid to compete. The more you do it the easier it becomes.
17. Judging score sheets. When you compete you will get score sheets and notes on your performance. this is like GOLD! It will help you become better. 
18. Perfection: Keep entering contests till you perfect your art. When you finally WIN you made it.
19. Educate people on the art of Magic: Participating in a contest will help spur interest and bring public knowledge to the art. You may even inspire someone in the audience to want to learn the art.
20. Have fun: Most important being in a contest is fun. It's a unbelievable experience. You get to share your gift with other people. 

Thanks again for visiting my blog. I would like to give a HUGE thumbs up to everyone involved in the Abbott's contest. Everyone from the sound, lighting, stage crew, judges. Everyone! Thank you!

No comments: