Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Creepy magician or just doing his job?

So last Friday I was performing at Barnaby's restaurant  in Arlington Heights, Il and may I mention that I have been there for 18 years now. Wow time flies by. Seems like only yesterday that I was there busing tables. It was my first job in High school.  





Anyway as I was was performing my close up magic at the tables I approached a table and asked if they wanted to see some magic. Right away in a unmotivated, I hate and don't want to see any kind of magic way a father said "No! I don't want to see any magic." After he said this his two children said "Ah! dad!" the mother chimed in and said "It's okay, The kids would love to see some magic. He just doesn't like magic."

I said "Okay! no problem I could go if you like" "No that's okay!" said the mother. I felt very awkward and uncomfortable because I was picking up on the vibes of the father. I didn't let it show, but I decided I would pull out my heavy artillery and do my best to see if I could win the father over and hopefully help him understand and appreciate the art of magic. The one thing that stuck in my mind was "Bad magician. he must have had a bad experience with a bad magician."  I pulled out my favorite effect, Matrix. Where at the end I make a extra coin appear. Then a bigger coin followed by even a bigger coin. I usually get a great response to the effect. 




Despite the fathers obvious dislike to magic he was really a good sport and even interacted with the participation of some of the effects. When I was finished I couldn't help to ask the father why he didn't like magic. I said I always want to improve on the art of magic and if there is anything you could tell me from your bad experience I would love to hear it. 




His mouth opened for a moment, but the mother interrupted. "It's not you! we had a bad experience with a restaurant down the street. They had a magician there and he just kind of creeped us out." I said Oh! I'm sorry." The mother said "He just kind of spooked us out, He came up to the table and started touching the kids and asking personal information like there names while he was doing his tricks and it just like I said, creeped us out." I said "Well I'm sorry you had that experience. I really enjoyed performing for you and I hope you come back again." I left the table. I really didn't know what to say and sometimes you can make things worse talking about things that are to personal or in depth.


Then I started thinking. I don't really know the situation of this magician. Maybe he was creppy or maybe he was just doing his job. Isn't it our job as magicians to welcome our audience. To engage and to take them to a magical place. I always thought it was polite to ask people their names and to then address them by their name. It just looks and sounds more professional and polite.

Are we in a different time. Are people feeling that unsafe, insecure and uncomfortable these days? Do we as magicians have to start shifting our gears and not ask people their names anymore? In this day and time where you constantly here news about predators I kind of understand the logic. It's really a tough call. It would break my heart to have to adapt and change my presentation and make it less inviting and personal because of such people. I can only hope that by giving my best, being polite and professional that maybe I could at least gain the trust of some people and introduce them to the world of magic.   


 

No comments: