Blog Archive

Monday, October 6, 2014

The Backayd Voodoo Doll

Normally I try to write inspiring and motivational topics on my blog, but since Halloween is creeping around the corner I thought I would get into the Halloween spirit and write a short story. Enjoy!

It was a brisk October afternoon. The sun barley peeking through the trees in my backyard. I was 10 years old at the time and I was raking the moist leaves in the backyard. Many times I would make piles of leaves and than jump in them. What a great feeling it is to be young and free and not worry too much of responsibility. As I was raking the leaves I noticed an object laying by the tree that caught my eye. It was halfway sticking out of the dirt. I went to pick it up and that was the day that changed my life. Sometimes I wish I never picked that Voodoo Doll up. Other times I'm thankful.


I didn't think much of it. I placed the Voodoo Doll in an empty Altoids can and put it on the bookshelf in my bedroom. Later that night I woke up in the middle of the night and was scrambling for a black Sharpie Marker and a lighter. I don't even know why I was doing this. I felt a tremendous amount of energy in my body that I couldn't even control. It's kind of like that feeling you get when you're in a deep sleep and you wake up and you can't move. You feel scared, helpless and paralyzed. That's how I felt.




I took the marker out of my dresser drawer, pulled up my shirt sleeve on my left arm and started drawing a black circle on my arm. The whole time I was doing these strange odd things I would hear a rattling sound coming from the bookshelf. After I made a black hole on my arm I next took a lighter, and lit the candle that was resting on my desk. I picked up the candle and placed it directly below the black mark on my arm. I could feel the heat of the flame slowly heating up my arm, getting sucked into the black hole. 


Suddenly I felt a overwhelming push! It was my Guardian Angel telling me to blow out the smoke. I realized what was happening. 
It was the Voodoo Doll. It was using the light of the fire to capture the evil energy in the air that the doll emitted and was using the black hole as a portal to my body. I frantically dropped the lighter and coughed out an enormous amount of smoke from my mouth. I just stood there in shock wondering if this was one more of my bizarre dreams where I can't tell if it's real or not. 


I didn't tell anyone that story because I didn't want anyone to think I was crazy. Several years went by and I never had anything else happen. I'm now a single adult and have my own house in Seattle. I work in the entertainment industry. Yes! I'm a magician, but not by choice. 

It was the day I moved out of my parents house and into my new home when it started again. I was unpacking when a tin can fell from the moving boxes. It fell to the floor and broke open. Out came the Voodoo Doll. I didn't think much of it. So much time went by that I didn't even remember that day too much. Things were going pretty good at my new home. I got everything nice and organized and even managed to make a nice little magic studio in the basement. Complete with a sliding bookcase. I always wanted one of those. Behind the bookcase was my office where I would work on my scripts, take calls for shows and fill my calender. I was very excited because the next day I had a rather well paying job at a millionaires mansion doing parlor magic.

I woke up a few hours early to prepare for my show. I showered, ate breakfast and was on my way to the gig. So I thought, I was on my way. I couldn't find my car keys. I was panicking. I must of looked all over that darn house. Nothing! Nothing at all! I ended up asking my next door neighbor for a ride to my gig. The neighbor graciously accepted and I was on my way to the gig. The show went great. I took the train home and right away went to take a nice hot bath. 

As I was reflecting on the day I heard a rattling sound. I jumped from the tub and quietly listened. It was coming from the medicine cabinet. I opened the medicine door and there lying on the shelf was my keys. I couldn't make sense as to why my keys would be there. I just shrugged it off and moved on. Thorough the weeks stange things escalated.  Things would just go missing and end up in odd places.

Things would happen, things that we would consider common. Such as misplacing your keys, wallet or purse. Things that we would shrug off as being forgetful or having a memory problem. In reality it's the invisible entities that are purposely misplacing our things. They do it because they are able to extract our frustrated nad panicked energy and make their energy stronger by using ours. To the entity is a form of entertainment. They laugh at us.  I often think that there is invisible bleachers and the entities are all sitting there watching us go crazy trying to find our missing items. One of the biggest things they do is misplace or vanish socks. You know what I'm talking about! Ever wonder why there is always one sock missing after you do the laundry?

I started catching on to what was happening after about six months of misplacing my keys, wallet. and my socks! I kept having to buy new ones because I couldn't find matches. One day I decided to take all my laundry to the laundromat. I went around the house and got every little piece of laundry I could find. I made sure I had matching pairs to all my socks. And I did. I must of had six loads of laundry. They were all separated. Shirts with shirts. Pants with pants. Socks with socks. There was no way no socks would be missing now. I must of been there about three hours. I was getting to the very last few socks when, Shocked as HELL! one sock was missing. 

When I got home I found the missing sock on the bookshelf on top of the Voodoo Doll tin can. That's when I stated to put it all together. All along the Voodoo Doll was manipulating my life. Making innocent things happen, but just enough to feed of my frustrated and scared energy.   



One night I decided I would fight back. Before I went to bed I opened all the cabinet doors in the house. I stuck "Gotcha" sticky notes everywhere in the house. The next morning things were really bad. I guess it didn't like my sense of humor too much because when I woke up the Voodoo Doll was on my chest. The lighter was in my hand and I had a hole in my arm. A flash of memories came gusting at me. I realized that all through my life I had these supernatural powers and didn't even know it. The supernatural powers that I acquired on that brisk October day when I found the Voodoo Doll.


It all made sense now. This is why I had no friends. They were all scared of me and then later in life I decided to cover up my supernatural powers by becoming a magician. That way when these uncontrollable supernatural events would happen such as peoples drinks flying across the table, tv channels suddenly changing, making knives levitate from my hand or my friends cell phone rings and it's a call coming from me when I was sitting right across from them. That one really spooks me. My friends would just think I'm doing another magic trick. I tried getting rid of the Voodoo Doll, but each time I did it would keep coming back. One day I threw it in the garbage. Later that night I heard a knock on the door. When I opened the door, there sat the Voodoo Doll! Every time I would get rid of it, it would come back stronger and stronger.

So instead of fighting it. I now cherish it. All I have to do to keep it happy. I would place the Voodoo Doll in my hand and as it rises up by itself on it's wood legs. I would say "I love you Voodoo Doll! I love you Voodoo Doll!" It would then rest back down gently on the palm of my hand. I would then pick it up and place it back into the tin can. 


20 years later I got married and a few years later had a beautiful daughter. One October day I asked her to go out and rake the leaves. "I wonder if she will find the Voodoo Doll I placed by the tree" said my Guardian Angel. 

No comments: