Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Mark Presley gets scholarship to "McBride Mystery School" asks for help! GET MARK TO LAS VEGAS!




Hi I’m Mark Presley and I am a magician.
Before I get into my "Donate Pitch" I would like you to get to know me better. 
if it helps, you can watch my video trailer of the characters I developed overtime. 
After you look at the video. please read my story of how I came to discover and love magic.


 I  recently got notified that I got a scholarship to one of the world's most prestige magic schools.  The "McBride Magic Mystery School" Although I got a scholarship. I still need to raise funds to get there as well as lodging, car rental, food...... I estimate that I will have to raise about $750.00 to get me to Las Vegas.

What put me in this situation of asking for help? well due to medical costs that my wife is going through and on top of that not working do to medical challenges that I don't want to get into right now. It can be quite challenging trying to support a family. Not to mention my son and mother - in law. Yes, I'm taking care of her as well. With that being said. I have to come up with creative ways to get things done sometimes. So this is just a quick glimpse at who I am, where I've been and where I'm going. This! This is my story! If you feel like you want to donate for my cause please click on the "Donate paypal button"


I got interested in magic at the age of six when my dad took me to a magic shop.
I came home with a simple magic trick and was hooked.
My brother also contributed to my interest in magic. He worked at Bozo circus, a popular children’s TV show where they had clowns and magicians perform comedy and magic. One day he brought home some “Marshall Brodien TV Magic Cards” I got into magic even more.   A few years later my dad passed away, but his memory of him taking me to my first magic shop lives on. 




I went into isolation feeling lonely and different. I would spend most of my time practicing and fantasizing of one day becoming a famous magician.  One day I checked out a book at the Library. It was a book on Houdini’s famous escapes. Little did I know that that book would one day play a very important role in my life.

In high school I signed up for a talent show.  In the middle of my show I realized that some classmates were throwing pennies at me. I reached to the floor and picked one up and magically enlarged the size. The audience gave a thunderous clap as I had a face and smile that said "oh ya! That's not going to stop me! now I'm going to try three times as hard" I guess I got the last laugh. The next day when I arrived at school there were classmates lined up in the hallway, clapping and cheering.  I knew then that magic was what I wanted to do.
 

Now let’s speed things up a bit. In 1995 I was working late at night cleaning a restaurant when 4 masked robbers broke in and handcuffed me to a bar while they went to work on the safe. Remember that “Houdini’s Greatest Escapes” that I said would one day come into play? Well it did, and I used one of Houdini’s escapes I learned from the book, and broke out from those handcuffs.





Through the years I’ve created many original, and unique presentations, faces and characters in magic. Attending the “Mystery School OfMagic” will help me hone in on my skills, presentation and characters and help me reach my full potential. Let’s take a look at what I created so far.

When I escaped from those cuffs that night.  I felt that I was actually also breaking free from the hardships and challenges that I was holding inside. I realized that life is short and that I needed to pursue my dreams.
In 2012 I had the privilege of seeing one of my favorite magicians, Jeff McBride, at the conclusion of his show he made paper butterflies magically come out of his hand. Jeff then said “You can be the world’s Greatest Magician if you want” those words stuck in my head and he not only inspired me to go for my dream, but in his lecture he encouraged magicians to invent magic products to help gain exposure in the magic world. In just a little more than 13 months I have over 6 products on the market that I manufactured, made video, logo and marketed myself. 


It is because of Jeff McBride’s help, support and inspiration that gave me the motivation to be the best I can be. By attending the “Jeff McBride Mystery School of Magic” I will be able to further my skills in magic and education.
Most people that try to raise money such as kickstarter have a product that they are trying to get off the ground. sell. I do not, my product is me. I’m the product. What you’re investing in is my gift and talent. How many of you have seen a play, musical or concert and you were moved or inspired by what you saw or heard and you suddenly felt inspired to go for your dreams? That is what I want to create.
With the proper help, guidance and training. I will be able to use my magic as a way to move and inspire people to go after their dreams.





No comments: